Make your own free website on
Holocaust Survivors--New Mexico
Evy Woods
Cafe Europa

In Hiding in Germany

Evy in East Prussia

In her own words...
   The three of us--my mother, father, and I, Evy Goldstein, aged
4-1/2--went underground in Berlin the last day of February, 1943.  We lived first with another Jewish couple, named Lewent, who took us into their attic in the building that they owned at one time.  After we were found out there, we went our separate ways into hiding, through the efforts of German rescuers.  They had to keep us separated--my mother and father together, I somewhere else--and that went on for a good time until my father was grabbed on the streets of Berlin; he was subsequently taken to Auschwitz, where he was gassed.
I was sent to East Prussia, Bloeslau, which eventually became part of Russia.  I was hidden in a small villa by some people who didn't know anything about me, but Pastor Niemuller's church supported us, which we learned after the war.  My mother eventually came there.
When that area was evacuated with the approach of the Russian army, we found another hiding place with the help of an old woman in the village.  This became our last hiding place.
Finally, the Russians came.  My mother tried to make clear to these soldiers, who were supposed to be our liberators and friends, that we were Jews.  They said that Hitler killed all the Jews--there are no Jews--you're just saying you're a Jew to save yourself.  The soldiers marched us to an empty house, where we slept on the floor.

Evy today with her mother, Herta Long

The Russians began to separate people.  We wound up in some collective camps with other German civilians and Italian military.  We escaped from some of these camps because typhus epidemics broke out in every one of them.  We also escaped because the NKVD, later called the KGB, immediately latched onto Mom.  If you had brains and schooling, they would try to force you into service for the NKVD as a spy.  If you refused, Siberia awaited you.
We finally arrived in Koenigsberg, in an effort to find a way back to Berlin.  Somehow, fate and walking took us to Vilna, the capital of Lithuania.  There my mother encountered some helpful Russian Jews.  They spoke some German and understood us.  My mother put me into the Jewish orphanage in Vilna, while she found work as a housekeeper for Russian Jewish families of means.  She finally kidnapped me from the orphanage, saying we had to go back to Germany--the opportunity was at hand.  That trek ultimately led us, over several years, back to Berlin and, lastly, to the United States.

Enter supporting content here